Poll: Does this help you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it does
100.00%
2 100.00%
Partially, as I don't agree with some of the points
0%
0 0%
No, just a waste of time. I knew all those already
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AriseSome basic idea to domaining

Thumbs Up 
Sometimes it is good to check into archives to get past but ever green information.

I stumbled on a two years old post by one RobM on DNForum.com

Below are some parts of the post: 

I see people entering the market and making basic startup mistakes. This is normal and is part of the learning process but below are a list of ideas I've formulated in the 16ish years I've been buying and selling domains.

1) Have an idea what you can do with a domain when you register it. If you think it has resale value think of your target buyers. If you think it can be developed and monetised know in what area and how you're going to go about it. If you cannot think of a reason *don't* register it. 'Brandable' is a meaningless term applied to domains with no meaning - these types of sales are incredibly rare.

2) If you are selling via a forum remember estibot or any other appraisal tools are very seldomly an indication of its value. A domain is worth what a buyer will spend and a seller will accept. Quoting values from automated tools suggests that you have no idea what it's worth to you and therefore your expectations will be unrealistically high - such quotes are a red flag to serious experienced resellers.

3) You will get higher prices in an enduser sale. This seems pretty obvious but there are many people with freshly registered domains who attempt to sell on forums for enduser prices. You are better approaching potential buyers directly and individually. Although you are at a slight disadvantage as you have made the first move you will likely sell for higher than resell value - which is what forums are for. The rule for value is usually : enduser approaching you > you approaching enduser > forum. Of course forum is liquidity and you can quicker sell a domain.

4) If you are selling a developed website bear in mind people will really only be interested in the traffic and revenue. Unless the domain is outstanding you should value the sale at a multiple of the revenue and any additional costs you have spent getting it succesful. Generic constant traffic commands a higher price than trends in quick moving markets.

5) Understand what goes into a domain to give it value if it doesn't have immediate obvious resell advantages. The argument 'ebay have a made-up word and their domain is worth millions' doesn't cut it when you can take any made-up word, spend MILLIONS marketing it, and give it value if it provides a needed or wanted service. You likely haven't spent that on a fresh registration from two days ago.

6) Constantly adapt and evolve. What worked a decade ago doesn't work anymore. What works last year most likely is not the best way to do things now. Keep abreast of the market and its movement.

7) Stick to .coms, established old extensions, or in some cases ccTlds (country codes relevant to the market). Yes there have been a couple of good sales in other extensions such as .top, .club, .banana etc but these are tiny compared to the amount of speculators. You have more chance of selling a worse .com than an excellent gtld.

Read more about the thread

You can teach others your brilliant ideas too by posting your thoughts. All thoughts are welcome. At the end we all want to learn

Thank you,

Arise

Thank you for the post @Arise, some good thoughts are there.

Thank you @mayowa, feel free to add your opinions
namefolks.com

Below are some parts of the post: 

I see people entering the market and making basic startup mistakes. This is normal and is part of the learning process but below are a list of ideas I've formulated in the 16ish years I've been buying and selling domains.

1) Have an idea what you can do with a domain when you register it. If you think it has resale value think of your target buyers. If you think it can be developed and monetised know in what area and how you're going to go about it. If you cannot think of a reason *don't* register it. 'Brandable' is a meaningless term applied to domains with no meaning - these types of sales are incredibly rare.

2) If you are selling via a forum remember estibot or any other appraisal tools are very seldomly an indication of its value. A domain is worth what a buyer will spend and a seller will accept. Quoting values from automated tools suggests that you have no idea what it's worth to you and therefore your expectations will be unrealistically high - such quotes are a red flag to serious experienced resellers.

(05-23-2020, 05:38 AM)grandname Wrote: Below are some parts of the post: 

A nice one. Thanks for sharing
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to grandname for this post:
  • Arise

Thanks. I am happy that it passes some useful info to you. 

Invest wisely, make more profit, learn and learn, and make friends.
namefolks.com

Yes helpful.